Oxfam Hong Kong is a member of Oxfam International and an independent development and relief agency based in Hong Kong working with poor and disadvantaged people in Asia and Africa. We are recruiting the following member to join us in our anti-poverty work:
Research Officer – Research and Development Centre
(Based in Bei Jing, 2-year contract)
We are looking for an appointed Research Officer, who is responsible for implementing the objectives of the Research and Development Centre as below:
- To formulate and implement research strategy in the following areas:
- To provide policy research on the following areas: free trade agreements (FTAs) and poverty reduction in China, global poverty reduction and China’s overseas investment and development assistance.
- To provide research to help the China Unit to formulate forward- looking strategic planning, and to systematize program experiences.
- To provide research support to the thematic programs of OHK, including rural livelihood, HIV/AIDS, education, health, disaster management, environmental protection, civil society, urban livelihood and gender programs.
- To manage and implement the research strategy by working closely with related program officers, researchers and NGO practitioners outside Oxfam, in the process of project approval, monitoring and evaluation.
- To conduct research independently.
- To develop an exchange platform for development researchers and practitioners.
- S/He is required to develop and maintain positive working relations with government and non-government groups through strategic funding and non-funding support
- Report to the Head of Research and Development Centre
- S/He will serve as a resource person on research support and assist the China Unit in strengthening the overall programme through exchanges of information, collaboration on initiatives, liaison and cross learning
- S/He will also liaise with other staff in fundraising and policy & public education units as well as with relevant Oxfam affiliates for informational, educational and policy advocacy needs in areas under her/his responsibilities
- Frequent travels are required for the position
- A master degree with relevant academic background in development studies, sociology, anthropology, economics, international relations, social work, or related social sciences disciplines; related research experience, or working experience in development work is preferable.
- At least 3 years of relevant working experience in NGOs or research setting.
- Excellent analysis and strategizing on the research areas as above mentioned
- Competence in formulating, review and conducting research independently
- Familiarity with NGO setting and work
- Skilled in persuasion work that is culturally sensitive and creative
- Self-motivated and with ability to work independently, and also in team work
- Fluency in written Chinese and spoken Putonhua is a must. Have knowledge of English is desirable
- Ability to travel frequently as required.
No expatriate package will be provided for the position
Closing date for applications: August 20, 2007
Please send your application, a sample paper on policy analysis, development research or practice in the areas mentioned above, with a CV indicating the expected salary and available date [email protected]. (Applicants who are not invited for interview within one month after the closing date may consider their applications unsuccessful.) In your email, also please indicate the position you are applying for.
All information provided will only be used for recruitment related purpose.
More information about our organization is available at our websites: http://www.oxfam.org.cn；http://chinainfo.oxfam.org.hk; http://www.oxfam.org.hk